Automated dust alert system for Bulk Materials Handling
Skills: Pollution monitoring and alert system, data analysis
Port Kembla Coal Terminal (PKCT) is located approximately 1 hours drive south of Sydney. PKCT approached Katestone to assist it to use the data generated by the existing air quality monitoring network in a more proactive way for dust management.
PKCT required a system that would:
- Provide timely advice on elevated dust levels
- Provide a summary of compliance with EPA targets
- Fit into their existing monitoring and reporting methodology
Working together with PKCT, Katestone developed a dust alert system that used historical data to fine-tune alert thresholds to ensure that reliable alerts are sent at the earliest possible time – a system that ‘cries wolf’ is not an effective system.
Katestone is now running an automated system for PKCT that:
- uses the existing monitoring network
- complies with the methodology developed for the annual reporting, approved by NSW EPA
- analyses data regularly throughout the day
- not only looks at measured dust levels but also uses the data from multiple monitors and meteorological parameters to estimate contribution from site
- sends alerts by email
- sends daily summaries of monitoring data by email
- includes summary statistics and graphics for a simple yet comprehensive overview of data
The system frees onsite staff to focus on operations, confident that they will be informed of potential dust issues if they arise. The system can be applied to any bulk material handling operation that has the potential to generate nuisance dust.
If you would like to see a similar system helping you to streamline your operation, we can certainly help you. Get in touch with our friendly team today.